Learn how our essential services will continue to operate as we respond 'Together against COVID-19'.
Issued: Thursday, 14 August 2014 [PDF, 201kb]
The latest NSW State Parole Authority annual report reveals that victims are having a greater say in parole matters, NSW Attorney-General and Minister for Justice Brad Hazzard said.
The State Parole Authority makes decisions relating to the supervised, conditional release of offenders from custody, the conditions of release and the revoking of parole orders for non-compliance.
“We’ve seen a leap in the number of submissions made by registered victims, almost doubling from 58 to 112. I’m pleased to see victims are taking advantage of their rights and having a greater say,” Mr Hazzard said.
“I urge other victims who want to lodge a statement when an offender comes up for parole to contact Corrective Services NSW to be placed on the Victims Register.”
For the first time, the State Parole Authority considered more than 12,000 matters in 2013. Last year also saw the appointment in December of the new Chairman, the Honourable James Wood AO QC.
Mr Hazzard expressed his gratitude for the excellent continued work of Justice Wood, the Authority members and its secretariat.
“Considering more than 1000 matters every month is a tough job but it is a necessary one,” Mr Hazzard said.
“The Parole Authority continues to work closely with other agencies to ensure the offenders which have been deemed suitable for release can and do reintegrate into society with ongoing supervision and support.
“Supervised reintegration is the best outcome for offenders, victims and their families, and in turn for the community as a whole,” Mr Hazzard said.
“Parole is the legal tool that enables us to do that.”
“The people of NSW can feel safer knowing our Parole Authority’s number one priority is the protection of the community through thorough risk assessment of offenders to decide whether they can be safely reintegrated into society,” Mr Hazzard said.