Learn how our essential services will continue to operate as we respond 'Together against COVID-19'.
Issued: Friday, 27 May 2016
The Sydney Cricket Ground Trust has been removed from the NSW Government's violent venues list as violent incidents at listed venues continue to decline.
Deputy Premier and Minister for Justice Troy Grant said that the latest violent venues list issued today shows a 10 per cent reduction in alcohol-related incidents at listed venues - 180 compared to 200 in the last list published in December.
The list is updated twice a year with the number of alcohol-related violent incidents at venues over a 12-month period. Venues that record 12 or more make the list and are subject to strict conditions.
Deputy Premier and Minister for Police and Justice Troy Grant said it is encouraging to see the number of listed venues and incidents is consistently reducing, and is dramatically down from the 1270 alcohol-related incidents recorded in 2008 when the list was first issued.
"Most licensed venues are getting the message that it just doesn't add up to run an unsafe pub, club or bar, but I'm concerned that there are still some fresh additions to our list that clearly aren't heeding the message," Mr Grant said.
"I encourage all venues on the list to take action to curb alcohol-related violence, because every patron deserves to get home safely after a night out."
The Sydney Cricket Ground Trust appeared on the list for the first time in December last year after recording 12 incidents in the 2015 calendar year but has been removed after recording a drop in incidents.
The results come as the NSW Government recently concluded the last of three community roundtables held to discuss how to achieve a safe and vibrant Sydney night-time economy.
"We've had a great response to the roundtables and Government will now compile a report and provide to former Justice Ian Callinan, who is carrying out the independent review of our liquor laws which will report back in August," Mr Grant said.
There are 12 venues on the latest list, with eight venues being removed and six new venues added. A full list of Level One and Level Two violent venues and the conditions imposed on them is attached.
Restrictions applying to Level 1 venues (19 or more violent incidents in a year)
LEVEL 2 VENUES FROM 1 JUNE 2016
Beachcomber Resort and Conference Centre
Penrith Rugby League Club Limited*
VENUES TO BE REMOVED FROM THE LIST FROM 1 JUNE 2016
Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust