Justice Home > Media & news > Ministerial Media releases


​Alexandria honours Anzac sacrifice

Published date: Monday, 18 June 2018

Alexandria soldiers who answered the call to fight in the Great War will be honoured as part of a moving artwork in the Anzac Memorial in Sydney’s Hyde Park.

Minster for Veterans Affairs David Elliott today took a sample of soil from the Richard Power Memorial Gates alongside local veterans, councillors and school students.

Soil samples from more than 1,700 sites across NSW where young soldiers enlisted to fight are being collected as part of the Anzac Memorial Centenary Project. All soil samples will be placed in the new Hall of Service, alongside a plaque with the name of the location.

The project is part of the NSW Government’s enhancement of the Anzac Memorial in Hyde Park during the Centenary of Anzac, which will be complete in late 2018.

“It is a privilege to be involved in this important ceremony to commemorate the sacrifice of those who served their country and contributed to the Anzac legacy,” Mr Elliott said.

“Alexandria’s service men and women have made an enormous sacrifice for Australia in foreign conflicts and it is vital that we continue the Anzac spirit and remember their sacrifice”, he said.

“The NSW Government is passionate about commemorating the Centenary of Anzac and that’s why we’re enhancing Hyde Park’s Anzac Memorial, as well as funding the restoration of local war memorials across the state.”

Last year, the Inner West Council received a $10,000 Community War Memorials Fund (CWMF) grant for the restoration of the nearby Camperdown Park WWI Memorial.

The CWMF provides individual grants of up to $10,000 for projects that protect and conserve existing war memorials across the state.