Justice Home > Media & news > Ministerial Media releases

​South Coast prison upgrade opens

Published date: Monday, 13 August 2018

[PDF 170kb]

Minister for Corrections David Elliott has commissioned a new 200-bed minimum-security facility at South Coast Correctional Centre, handing the keys to Governor Mick Reid at a ceremony today. 

The new facility is part of the NSW Government’s $3.8 billion infrastructure program to help keep the community safe and to reduce reoffending through improved inmate education and programs. 

“The additional inmate beds being delivered by this program complement our sentencing and parole reforms which give the courts better options to hold criminals to account and reduce re-offending,” Mr Elliott said. 

Work is continuing on the construction of a 160-bed maximum-security wing, expected to open at the site in mid-2019. 

Parliamentary Secretary for the South Coast and Member for Kiama Gareth Ward said the new 24,000sqm minimum-security area includes a building dedicated to inmate rehabilitation programs and an inmate workshop. 

“The full expansion of the existing 690-bed facility will create around 120 jobs at the centre, which is fantastic news for the Shoalhaven community,” Mr Ward said. 

Member for South Coast Shelley Hancock said construction work began on the site in May last year, creating a financial boost to the region. 

“The centre has always had a strong relationship with the Shoalhaven community, so it’s great to see this investment continuing,” Ms Hancock said.
 
The full South Coast expansion project includes: 

  • Construction of a new 160-bed maximum-security wing at the rear of the centre;
  • Expansion of the visits area, clinic and car park; and
  • Upgrades to existing staff and inmate accommodation facilities, including a newstaff amenities building and administration block.