Department of Justice is now the Department of Communities and Justice. Find out more >
Published date: Thursday, 27 June 2019
[PDF version of this media release]
A new maximum-security area at South Coast Correctional Centre officially opened today as part of the Government’s $3.8 billion prison expansion program.
The 160-bed wing, which is addressing staff safety and reducing re-offending through improved inmate access to education, training and programs, was officially unveiled by Minister for Counter Terrorism and Corrections, Anthony Roberts.
Mr Roberts presented the ceremonial prison keys to Governor Mick Reid at today’s official opening and praised the investment in the South Coast region.
“The expansion also includes a new 200-bed minimum-security section, which opened last year,” Mr Roberts said.
“These new facilities created 120 ongoing jobs based in Nowra, and will continue to inject money into the economy, which is great news for the region.”
Corrective Services NSW Commissioner Peter Severin said a renovated visitor area for the expanded maximum-security section would ensure inmates were retaining vital contact with their families.
“Family and loved ones play a critical role in the rehabilitation of offenders by providing stability and encouragement to help them turn their lives around. We want to ensure they maintain that contact in a safe and secure environment,” Mr Severin said.
Governor Reid said the new facility was creating more work and better rehabilitation opportunities for inmates.
“This project includes a purpose-built Corrective Services Industries building where inmates will be employed in laundry, kitchen and a business unit, providing them with skills they can use to gain a job once they’re released,” Mr Reid said.
Managing contractor Lendlease utilised Corrective Services Industries for the project, with the modular cellblocks constructed by inmates at Cessnock.