Disability Inclusion

The NSW Department of Communities & Justice is committed to providing inclusive services and programs to people with disability.

Our staff understand the importance of providing an individual and 'flexible' service for people with disability.

If you are person with a disability who requires a reasonable adjustment, advise our staff how they can best provide an inclusive service for you.

A reasonable adjustment may include information in large print or hearing amplification. These are just a few examples of the way we can provide an inclusive service for people with disability.

Disability Inclusion in NSW Courts 

Clients attending court who require reasonable adjustments are encouraged to advise staff by using the form on the Request for court assistance brochure [PDF, 2239kb].

Alternatively contact the court you are attending to advise.

Inclusive services for people with a cognitive disability

Below are few examples of how we can make our service inclusive for people with cognitive disability. If you require large print or anything else, please ask our staff.

Video guide: So You Have to go to Court!

The Department has a DVD called So You Have to go to Court! that gives basic information and tips for people with cognitive disability who are required to attend court. 

The video runs for 25 minutes and a resource kit is also available.

Find out more about So You Have to go to Court!.

Support people

If a support person would help you when you attend our offices or the court, please bring them with you.

People with cognitive disabilities  who are involved with the criminal justice system maybe able to get the support of a JAS advocate.

Inclusive services for people who are deaf or have a hearing impairment

Below are few examples of how we can make our service inclusive for people who are deaf or have a hearing impairment. If you require information in writing, or electronically or anything else, please ask our staff.


If you require an Auslan or sign interpreter to access any of the Department's services use the National Relay Service to contact the office or registry you will be attending to discuss your request.

Attending court: criminal and AVO matters

People who are deaf and use Auslan or a sign interpreter can, in criminal and apprehended violence (AVO) cases, ask the court to order an interpreter at no cost.

If you would like to request an interpreter, you should make the request as soon as you find out you will be going to court.

Attending court: civil claims and other court matters

For other court matters, including civil claims, you will need to organise an interpreter for yourself.   

The Deaf Society and Multicul​tural NSW can provide Auslan and relay interpreters for a fee.

Hearing loops in the court room

The Department uses an infrared amplification system to assist people with hearing impairments in the courtroom.

The infrared hearing assistive device is similar to a hearing loop.

Most courts in NSW have an infrared system available. As not all courts have this system it is advisable to call the court prior to the court date to ask for the system for your case.

The system should be requested in advance for your case.

  1. Contact the court you are attending and advise them that you require the infrared system.
    Please contact the court two weeks before your case comes before the court.
    (Find contact details for NSW courts and tribunals.)
  2. Provide the date of your court case.
  3. Advise the names of the parties involved in the case (Police versus Smith, or Jones versus Jones)

The court will then arrange for the system to be available for you on the day of your court appearance.

On the day of court

Attend at least 30 minutes before court starts and identify yourself to the court officer. The court officer will test the system with you to make sure the setting are right for you.

Find out more about requesting a hearing loop

See our brochure Can you hear in the courtroom? [PDF, 808kb] for more information about requesting the hearing loop service.

Inclusive services for people with a mental health issues

Below are few examples of how we can make our service inclusive for people who have mental health issues. If you require anything else, please ask our staff.

Inclusive services for people who have a mental health issues can include:

  • water
  • breaks if you are easily fatigued or have difficulties concentrating
  • rescheduling your appointment to another day and time when you would be less fatigued.

Inclusive services for people with physical disability

If you require disability access to any of our buildings or courthouses, please contact the court or office you will be attending. This will ensure that arrangements can be made to provide an accessible and inclusive service.  

It is important you discuss with staff why you will be visiting and your specific disability access requirements or potential reasonable adjustments.

If you require anything else to make the service inclusive please ask our staff.

Disability access for jury service

A number of trial courts provide disability access facilities for jurors.

The NSW Department of Communities & Justice is working to modify trial courts throughout NSW to provide wheelchair access to trial courts where juries regularly sit.

If you have a disability and are summoned to attend court as juror, call the Sheriff's office at the court that you are required to attend to discuss disability access.

Wherever possible, the Sheriff will arrange for reasonable adjustments to allow people with disability to participate fully as jurors.

Inclusive services for people with a vision impairment, print or reading disability

Below are few examples of how we can make our service inclusive for people who have a vision impairment, print or reading disability. If you require anything else, please ask our staff.

Information may be able to be provided in an alternative format such as:

  • large print
  • electronic formats
  • Braille
  • audio

Depending on the type of alternative format, a number of weeks may be required to transcribe it into the requested format.


The Department's parking policy provides parking for people with disability who require it to access our services.

Some offices do not have any parking or have inaccessible parking spaces.

Where the building offers no public parking, you may still be able to arrange disability access parking.

To arrange this you need to:

  • Have a current Mobility Parking Scheme tag issued by Roads and Maritime Services (RMS)
  • Contact the centre you are visiting and ask about accessible parking for people with disabilities
  • Ensure you have all details of your attendance with you to provide information to security if required
  • Allow additional time to travel between the parking location and the office or the registry you are attending

Be aware that you may be parking in a secured zone and a staff member may be required to meet you and guide you into the office or the registry.

Request for court assistance

Request for Court Assistance [PDF, 2239kb] is a brochure about seeking reasonable adjustments at court.

Can you hear in the courtroom?

Can you hear in the courtroom? [PDF, 806kb] is a brochure about using the hearing amplification system when you attend court.

The Justice Advocacy Service

People with a cognitve disability may be able to access an advocate to assist them in matters in the criminal justice system in NSW.

Find out more about the Justice Advocacy Service.