Births, Deaths & Marriages

My client wants to legally change their name. What do they need to do?

To change your name in NSW you must: 

  • be 18 or older
  • have been born in NSW
  • have been born overseas AND a resident in NSW for at least the last 3 years in a row immediately before you apply.
If you were born in Australian but not in NSW you must apply to the Registry in the State or Territory where you were born.

To apply to change your name, you must:

My client just had a baby. What do they need to do to register the birth?

You must register your new baby with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages NSW no later than 60 days after the child is born.

You can do this online:

  • check to see if you are eligible to do this online
  • select the ‘Register online’ button and complete the form
  • upload any documents that you are asked for.
You will not be able to register the birth online if your baby was born:
  • more than 60 days ago, or
  • at home without a doctor or midwife and you didn’t go to hospital or see a doctor in the first 24 hours after the birth.
See the Service NSW Register a Birth page to find out what to do in these situations.

If you don’t want to register the birth online you can collect all of the documents you need and:
  • go to a NSW Service Centre
  • post it to the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages, GPO Box 30, Sydney NSW 2001.

My client wants to get married? What do they need to do?

You must be over 18 to get married.

If one of you is between 16 and 18 years old, you need the permission of your parents (or guardians) and the court to get married.

Even if your parents agree, the court can still decide that you cannot get married. Or if your parents don’t agree the courts sometimes make an order to allow the marriage. You should get legal advice.

To get married you need to have:

  • completed a Notice of Intended Marriage form. You can get this from the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages or from the celebrant
  • both of your original birth certificates or passports
  • if either you have been married before — either a final divorce order or your former spouse’s death certificate.
Documents in a foreign language must be translated to English by an accredited translator. The Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages won’t accept photocopied documents.

These documents must be given to the marriage celebrant or Births, Deaths and Marriages NSW at least 1 month before the wedding date.

Site content is current as at November 2018

​For more information

The Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages has information about

 how to change your name

 what you need to do to get married in NSW

Guide for community workers

Download the PDF version of the Community Workers Guide [PDF 871kb]

Where can I get legal help?

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and sometimes advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW.

It is the best place to start when you are looking for a legal service to help your client. They can refer people to their closest legal service, including their closest Legal Aid NSW office and Community Legal Centre.

Phone LawAccess 
1300 888 529