How can my client get their rental bond back?

Residential tenants can claim their bond back at the end of the tenancy online or by filling out a Claim for Refund of Bond Money form from NSW Fair Trading [PDF 315kb].

If your client is a boarder or lodger they will not be a residential tenant. 

To check if they are a residential tenant see the tenants NSW factsheet — The Residential Tenancies Act on the Tenants NSW website.

If the landlord or agent agrees about how much should be returned 

They should also sign the form. Send the form to NSW Fair Trading:
NSW Fair Trading can deposit the money into your bank account or post a cheque to your new address.

If the landlord or agent doesn’t agree about the bond

You can still ask for Fair Trading to give you your bond back even if the landlord or agent doesn’t agree with you. Fill in the form with the amount that you want paid back to you. You do not need the landlord’s/agent’s signature.

Fair Trading will give the landlord or agent written notice that you have made a claim. If they don’t respond Fair Trading will pay your claim after 14 days.

If the landlord or agent doesn’t agree they must apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) no later than 14 days after they get the notice. NCAT will decide what should happen with the bond.

My client can’t afford their utility bills. What can they do?

Energy and water providers have programs and plans that can help if you are having trouble paying a bill.

All electricity and gas providers must offer 2 payment plans in a 12 month period, and have a hardship program to help keep people connected.

The NSW Government offers energy rebates for people including a Low Income Household Rebate. You may also be eligible for Energy Accounts Payment  Assistance vouchers to help pay a current electricity or gas bill.

Make a complaint to the Energy and Water Ombudsman if your energy or water provider is not being reasonable.

For legal advice

A free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and sometimes advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW.

They can refer people to their closest legal service, including their closest Legal Aid NSW office and Community Legal Centre.
1300 888 529

Site content is current as at November 2018

​For more information

EWON fact sheet — Difficulty paying bills? [PDF 348kb]

Guide for community workers

Download the PDF version of the Community Workers Guide [PDF 871kb]