Review of the Guardianship Act 1987
The NSW Law Reform Commission has been asked to review and report on the desirability of changes to the Guardianship Act 1987 (NSW).
The review is being conducted under the section 10 of the Law Reform Commission Act 1967.
Terms of reference
The Law Reform Commission review and report of the desirability of changes to the Guardianship Act 1987 is to have regard to:
- The relationship between the Guardianship Act 1987 (NSW) and:
The NSW Trustee and Guardian Act 2009 (NSW)
The Powers of Attorney Act 2003 (NSW)
The Mental Health Act 2007 (NSW)
Other relevant legislation.
- Recent relevant developments in law, policy and practice by the Commonwealth, in other States and Territories of Australia and overseas.
- The report of the 2014 ALRC Equality, Capacity and Disability in Commonwealth Laws.
- The UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- The demographics of NSW and in particular the increase in the ageing population.
There are numerous particular considerations that the Law Reform Commission must also address in this review and report.
See the full terms of reference on the Law Reform Commission website.
Interested individuals and organisations were invited to make submissions to the review.
Submissions made to the review may be referred to in the final report and may be made publically available, unless you request that all or part of your submission be kept confidential.
See the Law Reform Commission's privacy and information policy for further information.
The closing date for submissions was Monday, 21 March 2016.