Statutory review of the Victims Rights and Support Act 2013 (NSW)
The NSW Department of Justice is conducting a review of the Victims Rights and Support Act 2013 (NSW) to determine whether the policy objectives of the Act remain valid and whether the terms of the Act remain appropriate for securing those objectives.
This review is required by section 119 of the Act.
Victims Rights and Support Act 2013 (NSW)
About the Act
The Act legislates the Charter of Victims Rights and establishes the Victims Support Scheme to provide financial and practical support to victims of violent crime. The Act commenced on 3 June 2013.
View the Victims Rights and Support Act 2013 on the NSW Legislation website.
The policy objectives of the Act include the following:
- to recognise and promote the rights of victims of crime;
- to establish a scheme for the provision of support for victims of acts of violence;
- to enable financial support paid and recognition payments made under the Victims Support Scheme to be recovered from persons found guilty of the crimes giving rise to the payments;
- to give effect to an alternative scheme under which a court may order the person it finds guilty of a crime to pay compensation to any victim of the crime; and
- to impose a levy on persons found guilty of crimes for the purpose of funding the Victims Support Scheme.
You can find out more about the Charter of Victims Rights and the Victims Support Scheme on the Victims Services and Support section of the Department of Justice website.
Victims Rights and Support Act Statutory Review Report
Submissions are arranged in alphabetical order of the organisation or individual by whom they were submitted.
- Barnardos Australia [PDF, 99Kb]
- Community Legal Centres NSW [PDF, 4,214Kb]
- Corrective Services NSW [PDF, 445Kb]
- Courts and Tribunal Services Department of Justice [PDF, 522Kb]
- Deaf Society of NSW [PDF, 388Kb]
- Department of Family and Community Services NSW [PDF, 402Kb]
- Homicide Victims' Support Group [PDF, 152Kb]
- Kingsford Legal Centre [PDF, 489Kb]
- Law Society of NSW [PDF, 1264Kb]
- Law Society of NSW Young Lawyers Criminal Law Committee [PDF, 201Kb]
- Legal Aid NSW [PDF, 202Kb]
- Michelle Aorangi [PDF, 100Kb]
- Nita Hidalgo [PDF, 105Kb]
- NSW Health [PDF, 3024Kb]
- NSW Police Force [PDF, 88Kb]
- People with Disability Australia [PDF, 341Kb]
- Public Interest Advocacy Centre [PDF, 1107Kb]
- Redfern Legal Centre [PDF, 597Kb]
- Support After Murder [PDF, 289Kb]
- The Shopfront Youth Legal Centre [PDF, 620Kb]
- Victims Services NSW [PDF, 91Kb]
- Wirringa Baiya Aboriginal Women's Legal Centre [PDF, 999Kb]
- Women's Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services NSW [PDF, 405Kb]